Skip top navigation Skip to main content

Family and Friends Visiting the U.S.

Family and Friends Visiting the U.S. 
Family members and friends who are planning to visit you in the U.S. for a period of less than 6 months need to apply for a tourist visa (B1/B2 visa). Applicants must apply for a B-1/B-2 visa from a U.S. Embassy or Consulate abroad. For more information on how to apply for a visa, please visit the U.S. Department of State website.

The U.S. Consulate or Embassy will expect the visa applicant to provide the following documents:

1. An invitation letter written by you. Your invitation letter should specify the duration of the visitor's planned stay in the United States. The letter must list the purpose of the visit (for example, if the visa applicant is traveling to the U.S. to attend your commencement ceremonies). Please note that United States Consulates or Embassies Officials will only acknowledge invitation letters from you. Therefore, invitation letters from the OIS are not required. See the Sample Invitation Letter for guidance.  

2. An Enrollment Verification Letter to confirm your student status. To request this letter from Lasell University's Registrar's Office, complete the Enrollment Verification Form. You may drop off the form at the Registrar's Office, located on the 1st floor of Potter Hall, or scan and email the form to (Allow 2-3 business days for processing.) In addition to the Enrollment Verification Letter, you may also include an unofficial transcript. 

3. The visa applicant needs to provide a bank statement or other documentation as proof of sufficient funds to support themselves while visiting the U.S. If you are going to provide any financial support for the visit, you need to furnish your relatives with appropriate documentation.  This could be a letter verifying employment or a bank statement. You may also need to submit Form I-134 Affidavit of Support.  If your visitors will pay for their expenses themselves though, you are not required to complete Form I-134.

4. The visa applicant needs to prove their intent to return home, such as evidence of a job, property, business ownership, immediate family members who remain back home, or any strong ties to their home country. Copies of the return airline ticket or reservation will also be helpful. For more information, please visit the U.S. Department of State website