How to apply for financial aid
To apply for financial aid, complete these steps:
Complete the application
Students should log in to Federal Student Aid, fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), and complete any other documents required by the Office of Student Financial Planning.
Please use Lasell University FASFA Code: 002158
To maximize your aid eligibility, be sure to apply by the appropriate deadline for your state of residence. For MA state residents in the BSBA Program, the FAFSA should be completed and submitted no later than May 1 to be considered for MA state grant funding.
- Financial Aid Agreement Form
Please fill out this form to update us on your financial aid needs and excepted enrollment.
- Complete the Entrance Counseling and Master Promissory Note (MPN)
The Department of Education mandates that Direct Student Loan and/or Grad PLUS borrowers must complete Entrance Counseling, MPN before disbursement of their loan.
- Direct Loan Entrance Counseling: Entrance Counseling helps to ensure that you understand the responsibilities and obligations you are assuming. Loan proceeds cannot be credited to your student account until you fulfill this requirement.
- Direct Loan Master Promissory Note: The Subsidized/Unsubsidized Master Promissory Note (MPN) is a legal document in which you promise to repay your federal student loan(s) and any accrued interest and fees to your lender or loan holder.
Alternative Lending Options:
- Grad PLUS Loan
The U.S. Department of Education makes Direct PLUS Loans to eligible graduate or professional students through schools participating in the Direct Loan Program.
To receive a Grad PLUS loan, you must:
Be a graduate or professional student enrolled at least half-time at an eligible school in a program leading to a graduate or professional degree or certificate;
Not have an adverse credit history (unless you meet certain additional eligibility requirements)
Meet the general eligibility requirements for federal student aid.
- Private Loans
We highly recommend exhausting all federal financial aid options like the Federal Direct Loan(s) before pursuing the more expensive private student loans. Lasell University makes no recommendations regarding private loan lenders and will process a loan from any private education lender you choose.
Who can borrow:
- Student borrower with someone (parent, grandparent, friend etc.) as cosigner. These loans will be based on the income and credit worthiness of both the student applicant and the cosigner
- Parent borrower with or without a cosigner
To research some loan options and apply, go to www.elmselect.com. This site offers an unbiased comparison of the private loan options that are available for student loans. You will need to go to the lenders website to actually apply for the loan once you have determined which lender you would like to apply through.
Please note: Students who have borrowed a loan under the Direct Loan Program and/or a Grad PLUS Loan must complete an "Exit Loan Counseling" session during their final semester.
At Lasell, we work with you to help make your education affordable. Feel free to call, email, or visit the Office of Financial Aid at Lasell University to discuss your financial options at any time.
Office of Financial Aid
1844 Commonwealth Ave.
Newton MA 02466
Financial Aid Agreement Form
Lasell University defines full-time and half-time graduate enrollment below:
|Full Time||9+ credits|
|Three-Quarter Time||6–8 credits|
|Half Time||3–5 credits|
|Less than Half Time||1–2 credits|
In order to be eligible for federal aid, students must be enrolled a minimum of half-time.
- The Winter session is optional. As a stand-alone term, winter intersession does not qualify for financial aid. A student may receive aid for the intersession if he or she is in either Spring main or Spring I. Winter will be attached to one of those sessions to receive aid.
- Graduate students are eligible to borrow up to $20,500 in Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan. To be eligible you must complete the FAFSA, be enrolled at least half time, and admitted into a graduate certificate or degree program. Students must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress to remain eligible for aid.
- Aid will be disbursed after the add/drop deadline for each session. If a student has not attended any classes, they will not be considered in attendance and will not receive financial aid for that session.
Accident & Sickness Insurance Info
Graduate students are not eligible to be covered by the Lasell University Student Health Insurance. Courses that meet strictly online and courses that meet less than 15 days a semester on campus are not included in calculating qualifying credits. If you need health insurance, see more information below.
International Graduate Students
International Graduate Students are strongly encouraged to purchase health insurance coverage prior to arrival in the United States. It is advised to protect against unforeseen health circumstances while studying here at Lasell University. There are a variety of health insurance providers available to assist international students in purchasing coverage. University Health Plan (UHP), the Lasell University provider, is available to answer general insurance plan questions and make appropriate referrals. To speak with a representative, please call (800) 437-6448 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Health Care Coverage Information for Graduate Students
- MA Residents: MA Health Connector
- Out of State Residents: Health Care. Gov
- International Students not living on campus have many options. We cannot recommend one plan over another, but here are a few options to consider. We recommend you look closely at coverage as well as cost to find the best plan for you. ISO Insurance, Student Medicover, Cigna Global, GBG, and Seven Corners.
- Graduate students living on campus are eligible for the University Student Health Plan.
- Finally, If you already have insurance, you may be able to waive insurance.