MS in Athletic Training Technical Standards
The Lasell University Athletic Training Program (ATP) is a rigorous and intense program that places specific requirements and demands on the students enrolled in the program. An objective of this program is to prepare graduates to enter a variety of employment settings and to render care to a wide spectrum of individuals engaged in physical activity. The Technical Standards set forth by the ATP establish the essential qualities considered necessary for students matriculated to this program to achieve the competencies of an entry-level athletic trainer, as well as meet the expectations of the Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training Education.
Download the PDF of this information.
The following abilities and expectations must be met by all students matriculated in the ATP:
- The ability to communicate effectively and sensitively with patients and colleagues, including individuals from different cultural and social backgrounds; this includes, but is not limited to, the ability to establish rapport with patients and communicate findings and treatment information effectively, both verbally and written. Students must understand and speak the English language at a level consistent with competent professional practice.
- The mental capacity to assimilate, analyze, synthesize, integrate concepts, and problem-solve to formulate assessment and therapeutic judgments and to be able to distinguish deviations from the norm.
- Sufficient postural and neuromuscular control, sensory function, and coordination to perform appropriate physical examinations using accepted techniques; and accurately, safely and efficiently use equipment and materials during the assessment and treatment of patients.
- The perseverance, diligence, and commitment to complete the athletic training
program as outlined and sequenced.
- The ability to adjust to changing situations and maintain composure during periods of high stress.
- Affective skills and appropriate demeanor and rapport that relate to professionalism, professional education, and quality patient care.
Non-Discrimination Statement: Lasell University and the Athletic Training Program do not and will not discriminate against on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, religion, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, parental status, gender identity, sexual orientation, genetic information or any other legally protected status in the context of employment, or in any policies, programs, admissions or activities. Lasell University provides equal access to education.