Lasell College located in Newton, Massachusetts invites applications for the position of Police Lieutenant.
The Lieutenant of Campus Police is a uniformed supervisory position. The position requires a flexible work schedule that includes days, evenings and/or overnights as necessary to meet the supervisory needs of the police department. The Lieutenant assists in managing the day to day operations of the Lasell College Campus Police Department, and will be on call for emergencies and other critical situations.
This position directly supervises uniform police personnel, office manager, ID Checkers, Van Drivers, and student employees. Ensuring the preservation of the chain of command within the department, and the discipline of the officers as needed.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Reporting to the Police Captain, the Lieutenant’s duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Scheduling, organizing and directing workloads; Coordinating and implementing training programs
- Recommending candidates for employment opportunities, disciplinary action, termination, and/or retention efforts.
- Reviewing reports from officers, and assigning officers in accordance to specific needs
- Assisting in the coordination of auxiliary on campus security systems (i.e. – card access, video camera systems, etc.)
- Recommending changes or improvements in departmental rules, regulations and procedures
- Overseeing the reporting of the state uniform crime reporting system and departmental uniform reporting
- Working with the Dean of Student Affair and the Director of Residence Life on student disciplinary issues
- Managing the campus parking, shuttle, and college van programs
- Performing the regular duties of a Police Officer as needed
MINIMUM KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS REQUIRED
- Associate’s degree and five (5) years of experience as a police supervisor, or experience in an equivalent area of responsibility as determined by the Director of Public Safety required.
- Completion of the Municipal Police Academy and ten (10) years of experience as a police officer, at least five (5) of which must be in a supervisory capacity with positions of progressive responsibility, are acceptable substitutes in lieu of a degree.
- Established history of attending training and achieving certifications in areas of knowledge relating to policing in a campus environment.
- Must possess strong and effective leadership, strategic planning, analytical, administrative, and critical thinking skills.
- Proven ability and commitment to mentoring, encouraging and developing subordinates, and overseeing dynamic public safety operations.
- Flexibility with changing priorities and high pressure situations
- Willingness to exercise exceptional discretion, confidentiality and judgment in dealing with private issues and college business
- Possession and Maintenance of up-to-date:
- State Police Warrant Certification
- Class A, Large Capacity, License to Carry Firearms
- Valid and active license to operate motor vehicles
- Any additional licenses or certifications that may be required by the State Police or other entities
Lasell College offers a competitive salary and benefits package for eligible employees. This includes but is not limited to outstanding time off benefits, health, dental and vision insurance, a 403B with a matching contribution after one year of service, tuition benefits and more.
Interested candidates should upload a cover letter, resume, and the information of three (3) references using the form below, or email these documents to firstname.lastname@example.org using only the job title as it appears as the subject.
Review of resumes will begin immediately, and applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Lasell College is an equal opportunity employer.