Manager of Trades
Job Title: Manager of Trades
Division: Business and Finance
Department: Plant Operations
JOB SUMMARY: Under the general supervision of the Director of Plant Operations & Sustainability, and in coordination with the Manager of Plant Operations, organize, prioritize and supervise activities of Plant Operations staff pertinent to the maintenance, operation, and renovation of the College's physical plant, and perform all other related duties as required.
SALARY- $65000-$75000 depending upon experience.
The duties listed below are intended to describe the essential functions of the position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all job duties and responsibilities.
· Coordinate and supervise approximately 10 Plant Operations maintenance and operations staff in the performance of their present and future duties.
· Interview, select, train, evaluate, promote, and discipline Plant Operations staff.
· Increase the productivity and morale of Plant Operations staff by motivation, mentoring on the job, determining the best course of action, and evaluating their work.
· Monitor the work of Plant Operations staff for quality, completeness, timeliness, and cleanliness, and coach employees on performance issues.
· Review and plan upcoming jobs to assess material needs and nest materials in advance for future projects.
· Schedule and coordinate regular shop meetings.
· Make frequent visits to work sites to solve problems and inspect work for quality, thoroughness, and consistency with College standards.
· In cooperation with the Manager of Plant Operations, evaluate and prioritize work order requests and determine the best course of action for completion using the Schooldude system.
· Work with campus customers, including building coordinators and key college staff, in a professional manner on work order requests, project requirements, scheduling, and other maintenance and operations needs, ensuring customer satisfaction and project completion.
· Audit campus buildings to assess maintenance needs and produce work orders in Schooldude based on audit findings.
· Coordinate maintenance and operations activities using computer software including Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and other software programs.
· Assist with oversight of outside contractors and vendor deliveries.
· Read and interpret paper and electronic blueprints, diagrams, schematics, sketches and/or verbal instructions.
· Report hazardous and unusual situations to the appropriate authority.
· Complete all work orders and requisitions in a timely manner, and properly process and return all completed work orders and requisitions.
· Ensure shops maintain clean work and shop areas and an adequate inventory of all shop supplies and equipment.
· Develop or select training programs for Plant Operation staff to enhance the overall skill level of each crew member, and attend those programs when appropriate.
· Inform management of violations of Department and College policies and procedures.
· Serves as essential personnel during emergencies and disasters.
· Perform related duties as required.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
High School diploma or equivalent.
Seven years progressive technical work experience in a craft or multi‑craft setting required.
Graduation from a vocational technical school with Journey level skills certification in at least two building trades strongly preferred.
Supervisory experience required.
Must pass a CORI check.
CERTIFICATION, REGISTRATION OR LICENSURE REQUIRED
Valid Driver's License, with good driving record
Construction Supervisor's License preferred.
Other Requirements of the Job
· Must complete and pass a Lead Paint Certification course provided by the College within one year of employment.
· Ability to use computers, radios, and other technological tools in the course of performing duties.
· Working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and other software programs (working knowledge of CAD preferred).
· Ability to communicate professionally and effectively with all levels of the organization, including but not limited to all staff, administration and students.
· Ability to work independently and be able to make sound, independent decisions when circumstances warrant such actions.
· General knowledge of the Colleges' mission, purpose and goals and the role of their position in achieving those goals.
· Ability to understand and apply the laws, rules, regulations, policies, procedures, specifications, standards and guidelines governing the department.
· Ability to follow detailed oral/written instructions.
· Knowledge of the use of equipment and tools related to the building maintenance trades.
· General knowledge of OSHA regulations.
· Ability to establish and maintain professional, harmonious working relationships and deal tactfully with others from on and off campus.
PHYSICAL AND VISUAL REQUIREMENTS
May be required to lift/push/pull heavy objects; subject to mechanical/chemical hazards and inclement weather/temperature extremes; work above ground level and in cramped positions; wear protective clothing. Average visual effort is required.
· Ability to stand, walk and/or sit and continuously to perform duties.
· Ability to grasp, lift and/or carry or otherwise move heavy objects.
· Ability to climb and work on ladders.
· Ability to walk up and down stairs.
· Perform tasks requiring bending, stooping, kneeling, crawling and walking significant distances between and within college buildings.
· Ability to perform duties in confined spaces, including equipment and attic spaces.
· Ability to perform duties in extreme temperature ranges and weather conditions.
· Sufficient manual dexterity in both hands to operate hand tools and power tools.
Work performed in an environment requiring exposure to weather extremes, fumes, odors and/or noise.
How to Apply: Please submit a cover letter, resume and list of 3 references.
Lasell College is an equal opportunity employer.