Academic Achievement Center Tutor
The Academic Achievement Center (AAC) is dedicated to helping Lasell College students in all programs of study achieve their academic goals and attain academic success by providing them with the academic support and resources crucial to building and strengthening their academic skills.
AAC tutors provide academic support services in an appointment-based setting with selected drop-in times for individual and group sessions. Tutors work with students individually and in small groups to assess their immediate academic needs, set short-term goals for sessions, discuss long-term goals for ongoing academic development and assist them in reaching those goals. This is an hourly position ($18-$20/hr.) between 10- 20 hours per week, during the academic year (Fall & Spring semesters); anticipated start: Fall 2014 Semester.
- Guide students in the learning process and help them become strategic and independent learners by facilitating their effective use of prior knowledge, targeted strategies and skills to advance and optimize their learning.
- Help students integrate and apply effective study skills, learning strategies, active reading/note-taking, time management and organization skills to their specific courses throughout the year.
- Provide assistance with the writing process and related skills, including: research, pre-writing, drafting, revising, editing, flow, formatting; composing structured and relevant topic sentences, thesis statements, paragraphs, essays; grammar mechanics, formatting (APA, MLA); emphasis on writing in a clear, relevant, organized and persuasive manner
- Help students apply quantitative reasoning, interpret and analyze multi-step problems and build critical and analytical thinking skills
- Document and communicate student progress by completing required tutoring session notes
- Regularly attend and participate in staff meetings to collaborate and plan academic supports
- Support a welcoming and supportive learn-how-to-learn environment by creating a dynamic learning atmosphere conducive to active learning
- Bachelor's Degree required
- Strong writing, interpersonal and communication skills; knowledge of basic math preferred
- Ability to establish rapport and connect with students, staff and the Lasell community
- Genuine interest in the needs of students and their learning process
How to Apply: Please submit a cover letter, resume and list of 3 references.
Lasell College is an equal opportunity employer.