Community Outreach: Key Partnerships
- The women’s basketball team coached students from Learning Prep High School, helping them prepare for a Special Olympics tournament. The men’s baseball team and women’s softball teams helped paint the Learning Prep cafeteria, hallways and gym.
- Twice a month, Lasell students mentored approximately a dozen Barry Price Center participants through Lasell’s Barry Price Club and also held a dance at Lasell for the participants each semester, resulting in 420 hours of service.
- More than 35 Lasell students mentored youngsters through The Second Step, volunteering approximately 580 hours during academic year 2012-13. As in past years, mentors were oriented in a “Domestic Violence 101” nine-hour training that preceded the mentoring activities.
- Lasell students completed 50 hours each in Newton and Waltham public schools including the Williams, Lincoln-Eliot, Cabot and Ward elementary schools for a total of 4,710 hours.
- Lasell’s RoseMary B. Fuss Center for Research on Aging and Intergenerational Studies has collaborated with Newton-based Discovering What’s Next to complete work on three grants supported by the Tufts Health Plan Foundation. The grants explore strategies for raising awareness about encore career possibilities for adults 55+ in the Greater Boston area.
- Newton Girl Scouts, San Juan del Sur Sister City Project, Newton West Little League, NKP Media Inc., Suzuki School of Newton, Kids’ Karate, and Newton Public Schools – Superintendent’s Office all utilized Lasell facilities during the 2012-13 academic year for free or at reduced rates.
- Members of Lasell’s Enrollment Management team volunteered on the Charles River as part of a joint effort by the Charles River Watershed Association and Charles River Canoe and Kayak to rid the waterway of invasive water chestnuts. In addition, the College paid for the removal of the material once it had been collected.
|Community Outreach - By the numbers|
|700||Number of service hours Lasell athletes volunteered in academic year 2012-13|
|4,800||Lasell's annual donation to Auburndale Community Library|
|8,500||Number of people who visited with the Lasell Admission Office including students and their guests|
|50-100||Number of computers donated each year to the local community|
|110||Number of Lasell students who interned at Newton businesses or non-profit organizations|
|10||Number of years Lasell has had a partnership with Williams Elementary School|
|$175,000||Estimated total rental discount/fees waived for Newton groups|
|400||Community members who attended public exhibits at Lasell's Wedeman Gallery|
|10%||Tuition discount offered to City of Newton employees|
|50%||Percentage of rentals at Lasell by individuals, groups, or organizations in the Newton community|