At Lasell College a variety of internship opportunities are available to students. In the education department, students will student teach in spring of their senior year.
Student teachers attend the site full time (Monday - Friday) for the full semester. Working under the supervision of specific teachers, they take on increasing responsibility for planning, teaching, and evaluating lessons; interacting with children; and managing all aspects of the classroom. For two weeks near the end of the placement, student teachers take over the full day, including all planning, teaching, and management.
Freshman Requirements: Tutoring in America Reads, Wednesdays at Williams (math), or other formal setting approved by ED 110 instructor. Licensure students begin teaching young learners in their first year at Lasell. These structured tutoring programs give them experience in meeting various needs and using appropriate materials.
Sophomore, Junior Pre-Practicum
Sophomore Requirements: 25 hours each semester connected to literacy methods courses. Junior Requirements: 25+ hours each semester connected to literacy, math, and/or science methods courses. Students work in specific classrooms with assignments specific to methods courses in which they are enrolled. Assignments begin with observing the classroom teacher and aspects of organizing for particular subjects, and include planning, teaching, and assessing using materials and objectives appropriate to the grade level and subject.
Senior Requirements: 150+ hours in fall (pre-practicum) and 300+ hours in spring (practicum). Students attend the site two full days per week for the full semester. Working with one teacher, they take responsibility for various aspects of the curriculum. By the end of the semester, they have planned and taught lessons in all subjects.
Some places students have done their practicums include:
- Cabot Elementary School, Newton
- Douglas MacArthur Elementary School, Waltham
- Franklin Elementary School, West Newton
- Gardner Pilot Academy, Allston
- Huckleberry Hill School, Lynnfield
- Hurley Frida
- Hurley K-8, Boston
- Lincoln-Eliot Elementary School, Newton
- Mary Lyons
- McDevit Middle School, Waltham
- Mission Hill K-8 School, Jamaica Plain
- Oakdale Elementary School, Dedham
- Pierce School, West Newton
- Saint Bridget School, Framingham
- Summer School, Lynnfield
- Ward Elementary School, Newton
- Whittemore Elementary, Waltham
- William H. Lincoln School, Brookline
- Williams Elementary School, Auburndale
- Accounting and Finance
- Art and Graphic Design
- Athletic Training and Exercise Science
- Environmental Studies
- Hospitality and Event Management
- Justice Studies
- Marketing and Management
- Mathematics and Science
- Social Sciences
- Sport Management