Frequently Asked Questions
What is the AAC?
AAC stands for Academic Achievement Center. The AAC provides academic assistance to all Lasell students, whether they want some extra help studying, could use help starting a research paper, or need more intensive assistance in a specific content area.
Our staff fosters a supportive and productive learning environment by helping students explore their academic potential and strive toward excelling in their chosen field of study. Our professional and student tutors are available for scheduled tutoring appointments and selected drop-in sessions, as well as study groups and organization/time management help.
Where are you located, and when are you open?
We are located in the Lower Level of the Brennan Library, Room 106. We are open for regular operating hours during the Fall and Spring semesters, Monday-Thursday 8:30 a.m.-9 p.m. and Fridays 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m.
What types of services are offered?
We offer a variety of services to assist you including:
- Individual/Group Tutoring: Students can seek assistance in various content areas, get instruction on ways to improve study skills & take effective notes in class, use time management tips and more!
- Study Groups: Students can form and attend study groups focused on a variety of topics and specific content areas.
- Writing Assistance: Our tutors help students through the writing process by offering suggestions in many areas including grammar, format and citations (APA, MLA,), along with general content and flow.
- Online Tutoring: Students can use Smarthinking, a convenient and effective online tutoring service, free to all Lasell students, ready to use at a time that's convenient for your schedule. Go to Moodle and click on the "Online Tutoring" tab to access this service at your convenience.
- Flexible Solutions: Students can schedule an appointment to speak with a tutor at a scheduled time over the phone, via Skype or chat room during our regular hours.
How do I schedule an appointment?
Students can make an appointment using the online scheduling tool, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 617.243.2474 to schedule time with a professional or student tutor.
When should I come to the achievement center?
As soon as possible! Students can schedule an appointment or drop in any time throughout the semester.
What should I bring with me?
Bring a copy of the assignment or problem(s), your book, syllabus and anywork you have already done, along with some good questions for the tutor.
How much does it cost?
The AAC provides free academic assistance to all Lasell College students. Feel free to stop in any time during our regular operating hours or book an appointment online.
Why do students come to the AAC?
Whether you need to study for a test, figure out how to solve word problems or could use some help writing and formatting a paper, our dedicated and knowledgeable (and friendly!) staff is here to support you; just let us know what you need.
What if I’m a student with learning disabilities?
If you are a student with a documented learning disability as determined under the ADA and as defined in Chapter 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, you may benefit from certain accommodations.
If you believe you qualify and would benefit from appropriate and reasonable accommodations, the Director of the AAC and Learning Disabilities Services is available to discuss those options with you. Please contact Dolores Radlo, via e-mail at email@example.com, call 617.243.2474 or use our online scheduling tool to make an appointment for a confidential conversation. It is strongly suggested that students make appointments and/or submit documentation prior to the beginning of the academic semester.
Upon review and determination of appropriate accommodations, as authorized by the Director of the AAC and Learning Disabilities Services, the student will be responsible for follow up with his or her individual faculty member(s). All personal information will remain confidential. Discussions with parents or legal guardians are encouraged when supported by FERPA documentation.
Please check out my.lasell.edu/aac to find more detailed information about requesting academic accommodations, including the disabilities registration form, examples of appropriate documentation, and other resources.