Graduate Academic Policies

Academic Dishonesty

Academic Standing

Capstone Options in the Master of Science Degrees

College Calendar and Final Examinations and Projects

Course Repeat Policy
Graduate degrees and certificates at Lasell College require cumulative GPA of at least 3.0 and a grade of at least B- in all courses. Students must repeat any course where they receive below a B-. In the case of elective courses, students may decide to repeat the course or choose another elective.
Students are permitted, in special circumstances and with the approval of the Department Chair and the Dean of Graduate and Professional Studies, to repeat any course on a one time only basis. In the event a required course is repeated unsuccessfully, the student is subject to academic suspension (see section on Academic Standing). The higher of the two grades will be computed into the GPA, and the lower of the two grades will be removed from the average. No additional credits will be counted toward graduation; however, the lower grade will remain on the permanent academic record. For additional restrictions, students need to review individual major requirements.

Incomplete Grades
On rare occasions a grade of Incomplete (INC) may be granted. Ultimately, the decision to grant a grade of Incomplete is at the discretion of the instructor; however, both the student and the instructor must sign the contract for completion before a grade of INC can be issued. An Incomplete should be issued only for extraordinary reasons. It is not appropriate to issue an Incomplete simply because a student has not performed well or has not completed required coursework. A copy of the contract must be submitted to the Office of the Registrar with the final grade roster. It is the responsibility of the student to initiate the request and to make all arrangements with the instructor for turning in late work by the last day of the semester/session.
Incomplete grades must be made up within four (4) weeks of the end of the current semester/session. Failure to do so will result in the "INC" reverting to "F".

Under extenuating circumstances (e.g. military leave), extensions beyond four (4) weeks may be granted by the instructor with the approval of the Dean of Graduate and Professional Studies. It is the student's responsibility to initiate a written request for an extension by completing the appropriate paperwork available online or through the Registrar's Office.

Grade Changes
A final grade (excluding an Incomplete) may not be changed after submission of the grade by the instructor to the Registrar's Office unless a clear and demonstrable mistake or miscalculation by the instructor is discovered. The submission of late or revised work by a student is not grounds for a legitimate change of grade, nor is the retaking of an examination. Changes to final grades cannot be made beyond one semester after the initial awarding of the grade.

Official copies of a student's permanent academic record are issued by the Registrar's Office. The transcript request must be made in writing by the student, and include $5.00 for each copy requested. These transcripts are mailed directly to the college or employer requesting the transcripts within two to four days. Transcripts cannot be processed for students who have unpaid bills. Unofficial transcripts may be issued directly to the student provided the request is in writing. The fee is $5.00 for each copy and the processing time is two to four days.

With the approval of the instructor, students may register to audit a course by completing a Course Audit Form by the end of the add/drop period. Audited courses are recorded on the transcript but no grade or credit is given.

Directed Study (Independent Study)
Under limited circumstances, graduate students may enroll in a directed study after consulting with their advisor to ensure its fit with their overall degree program. The Department Chair for the course, in consultation with the Department Chair of the student's program of study, has final approval of any directed study. Students interested in this option should complete and submit the Directed Study form by the end of the add/drop period for Graduate and Professional Studies programs.

More Information: Academic Calendar

Course and Grade Related Policies

Graduation/Degree Related Policies

Leaving/Withdrawing From the College

Other Policies

Student's Responsibility

Student Rights and Responsibilities